วันอังคารที่ 31 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2554

Gym dumbbells

I worked out in a gym last week that had on display the biggest indoor sign I'd ever seen. It was more like a billboard, in 2000 point font, hanging above the dumbbell rack: DO NOT DROP WEIGHTS.
The dropping of weights, dumbbells in particular, seems to be one of the top etiquette issues at every gym. I too am offended when people let their dumbbells crash to the ground – but only because of the damage done to the dumbbells themselves.
Heavy dumbbells that smash into the floor at an angle will bend into a c-shape, upsetting the way they balance in your hands. The weights on battered dumbbells can also come loose from the handle, and sometimes even break off. (Good luck getting your gym to fix or replace that dumbbell anytime soon.)
I think that what gyms are rallying against, however, is the bone-rattling noise of falling iron. And here's where I say: what do you expect? I'm grateful for the gyms that furnish 100+ lb dumbbells, a rare commodity in this age of express, female-targeted health clubs. But, I can also tell you that when I reach failure at the end of a set of dumbbell bench presses, I have little control over how the weights find their way to the floor. I try to ensure that the dumbbells hit flat, to avoid breaking the equipment. Beyond that, I just want to make sure that they don't tear my arms off on the way down.
I used to work out at a gym located on the second floor of a small strip mall. I was scolded several times by management for the noise I generated performing deadlifts with a 315 lb barbell. It wasn't the gym that cared about the noise, however, but the poor tenants on the first floor who endured the sounds of an avalanche all day long.
So here's a note to landlords: don't lease space to a gym above the ground floor. And gyms: don't lease space above the ground floor if you want your members to enjoy their regular workout.
____________________
As a footnote, I'd suggest this bit of charm - used on me - when a staff member approaches someone to reprimand him about dropping weights: "Please be more careful about dropping your weights ... otherwise, I was impressed."


Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/bodybuilding-articles/gym-dumbbells-4588750.html#ixzz1Nw0wHKQT
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น